Saturday 19 July 2014

More diff...

I treated myself to some new welding gloves, mainly because the right index finger was so burnt it bent sideways instead of inline with the knuckle... anyway, long story short, turns out it's the way I hold the torch as I weld, because the new pair did exactly the same thing after welding the diff brackets!

Anyway, on to the diff.
Once the upper bar was fitted, I used offcuts of the old Sierra diff plates that I had from a guy on LCB. He was getting rid of a nearly complete set of plates, a few bob for postage and a bit extra and they were mine. Obviously the Sierra plates were never going to be used, but the holes were the right size and it's thick enough metal. A quick trim and the brackets were produced. Note the bottom left one in the picture, that's to avoid what was the PPF bracket on the diff.

The diff seems to fit quite well;


Obviously the diff is mounted centrally according to the driveshaft flanges rather than the propshaft. I was always going to have a 'wonky' propshaft as the diff isn't centred. This wasn't going to bother me, I just had to make sure that the prop had enough clearance;

Yep, looking good to me. The more observant of readers might notice this 'after' pic only shows the tack welds, rather than the full welds of the 'before' pic above. That's because this was me trialing the diff fit before fully welding.

So once the plates have cooled down, I can bolt the diff in place and then mount the driveshafts and uprights. Then I can figure out how things will fit together!

It's nice to make some progress though... although looking at the picture above that propshaft really needs cleaning. It's got to be cut to length anyway so I'll get them to check the bearings at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment